The Best French Strawberry Cake
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 16 ounces fresh strawberries sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer whip together the butter and 1 cup of the sugar until pale and fluffy 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream beginning and ending with flour mixture beating just until combined after each addition.
- Fold in strawberries. Spread the batter in the prepared cake pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean 35-40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan and slice and serve the cake from the pan.
- I used a 9-inch light silver metal cake pan for this cake. I also used fresh not frozen strawberries.
- The cake is meant to be custard-like in the middle. Not under baked but not crumby like a traditional cake.
- Some people have reported needing to bake the cake longer than the recommended time of 35 – 40 minutes. Color of cake pans size of strawberries and individual ovens will all factor into the correct baking time.
This article and recipe adapted from this site