Chocolate Chip Caramel Bars
INGREDIENTSCHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BARS
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 226g) butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups (282g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 5 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 package (11 ounces) caramel bits or wrapped caramels (be sure to unwrap if using the wrapped caramels)
INSTRUCTIONSCHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BARS
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Add butter brown sugar and vanilla to a large bowl and with a hand-held mixer cream ingredients until they are lighter and fluffier. Add in eggs mixing well after.
- Add the flour baking soda and salt and mix on low until combined. I usually add my chocolate morsels right into the cookie dough and mix with the hand-held mixer but you can also stir them in by hand.
- In a prepared 8×12 or 9×13 baking dish press half of the cookie dough down. Try to get an even layer. Set the remaining cookie dough aside.
- Bake for 10 minutes. While the cookie bars are baking prepare the caramel.
- In a saucepan over medium heat add the evaporated milk and caramel bits. Stir frequently for about 8 minutes or until the caramels are melted and the evaporated milk is fully incorporated. Remove from heat.
- Carefully remove the cookie bars from the oven and place on a heat-safe surface.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the bars making sure to get it into every nook and cranny.
- Carefully start placing flattened dollops of the remaining cookie dough over the hot caramel. I find it works best to pick up a small handful flatten it in your hand a bit and then place that directly on top of the caramel. Do this will all remaining cookie dough. It is ok if there is some caramel showing.
- Bake for an additional 15-18 minutes or until the caramel is bubbling and the cookie is golden brown.
- Allow bars to cool to room temperature and then cut and serve.
This article and recipe adapted from this site